Friday, October 29, 2004

Patience

Dear Readers,

I know I promised some of you reviews this week. As it's the last week before elections, I had decided to read two political tomes, one from either side of the aisle. I got through Tucker Carlson's contradictory auto-fellatial paean to lying, Politicians, Partisans, and Parasites then we got word that my wife's grandfather had died. This is the first night I've been back since then and I tried listening to Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose's Bushwacked, but I've not had much success.

I'm just not in the right mood to hear the book, which is a moving collection of real-life examples of the horrible consequences of Bush's policies. I got as far as the recounting of how children used to play in a creek just downstream from a soon-to-be-declared Superfund chemical mess made by industry and my heart and my mind just froze. I just couldn't summon the will to muster on. I just couldn't.

So, expect some reviewing goodness in this space shortly. I still have to go to work; I've got some books ordered at the library that are in; I just finished the second volume in Marjane Satrapi's amazing Persepolis; I can heartily recommend the latest releases from Tom Waits and from Wilco.

Go outside and do something. Don't sit around reading this crap. Go do something. Seriously. What'll you say when you're eighty? I wish I'd read more snarky reviews or I wish I'd spent more time giggling in piles of leaves?

Come back later, okay?

No comments: